Collaborative Project: Week2

This week I mainly did character modelling work. After communicating with Karl, we decided to modify the existing resources, to quickly get a basic shape.

Character:

A man wearing a face mask, have moustache

Cotton hat

Jackets

Mountaineering backpack

Here are references

First, I drew a draft to determine the basic shape of the character:

Then I found some free assets on Sketchfab, and Karl also gave me some of the assets he found. This is how it looks.

It can be seen that the basic shape is ok, but it is still very rough. Some parts, especially jackets and pants, are difficult to modify directly through ZB or Maya. So I decided to remake the clothes in Marvelous Designer.

Thanks to the use of MD learned last semester, this time I can directly start production. Both pants and masks are made faster. But this is my first time making a double-layered jacket. This article has helped me a lot:

The main difficulty in this is the topolygy of the clothes model and the collision between the backpack and the clothes. For Topo, I mainly used the reset grid that comes with MD. Although there are some flaws, they can be further modified in ZB. ZRemesher can bring better results.

Regarding model collision in MD, I refer to this video:

Particle distance controls the distance between each point during simulation. The smaller the value, the higher the accuracy and the reduction in penetration. But it will bring a huge amount of calculations. In the end, I only used 5, and it would be too slow to operate because it is too small.

You can see that the clothes on the shoulders and chest have some errors, but it doesn’t matter, I can delete the inner faces in Maya.

Karl and I also discussed the main technical points in UE, which is what we need to learn and make in the future.

Technical points:

The character and scene texture in the rain

The dynamic effect of rain on objects

Character hair

Character cloth simulation