FMP 4: Texture

This week I have been unfolding UVs on the model and importing them into Substance Painter for mapping.

The UV unfolding was done in Maya, which is relatively simple and does not require a strict UV orientation. Because the model is mainly a solid colour, the UVs were simply split.

But here I used a trick, I unfolded some small parts of the UVs on the same sheet, so that I could make fewer materials, such as buttons and trousers, crowns and tops.

I need to give the materials a name in Maya before importing them into SP so that each UV is displayed correctly in SP and to avoid overlap problems.

In SP, I first baked the model’s texture to obtain information such as normal, ambient Occlusion, thickness, etc. This will be useful when creating textures.

But here I used a little trick, I unfolded some small parts of the UVs on the same sheet, so that I could make fewer materials, such as buttons and trousers, crowns and tops.

This is the result of a colour scheme recreated from the character designs:

Generally, the next process is to bind the character. However, considering that the character will then be rendered in a real-time engine like UE4, I should first go to UE4 and set up the materials so that I don’t need to change the model. I should also make sure that the model will not be modified before I rig it.